By Geoff King
- Takes a entire and clean new examine the subject of yank indie film
- Features newly commissioned essays from most sensible movie specialists and rising students that signify the state of the art connection with the indie movie field
- Topics coated comprise: indie movie tradition; key ancient moments and events in indie movie historical past; relationships among indie movie and different indie media; and matters together with type, gender, neighborhood identification and stardom in within the indie field
- Includes reports of many sorts of indie movies and picture genres, besides quite a few filmmakers and performers that experience come to outline the field
Read or Download A Companion to American Indie Film (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Best film & video art books
JACK PIERCE - the fellow in the back of THE MONSTERS chronicles the profession exploits of Universal's vintage monster author, Jack Pierce, who was once with the studio in the course of their horror heyday of 1928-1947. After freelancing in Hollywood's earliest days as an actor, stuntman and assistant director, Pierce flourished in make-up within the 1910s and Twenties, first making himself into any number of motion picture extras referred to as for on fledgling studio plenty.
With past due Godard and the chances of Cinema, Daniel Morgan makes an important contribution to scholarship on Jean-Luc Godard, particularly his movies and movies because the past due Nineteen Eighties, the most notoriously tricky works in modern cinema. via designated analyses of prolonged sequences, technical strategies, and formal experiments, Morgan presents an unique interpretation of a chain of a number of internally comparable films—Soigne ta droite (Keep Your correct Up, 1987), Nouvelle obscure (New Wave, 1990), and Allemagne ninety neuf zéro (Germany ninety 9 0, 1991)—and the enormous overdue video paintings, Histoire(s) du cinéma (1988-1998).
German nationwide Cinema is the 1st finished background of German movie from its origins to the present. In this re-creation, Sabine Hake discusses film-making in monetary, political, social, and cultural phrases, and considers the contribution of Germany's hottest films to altering definitions of style, authorship, and picture shape.
Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch is among the so much influential movies in American cinema. The depth of its violence used to be exceptional, whereas the director's use of a number of cameras, montage modifying, and sluggish movement quick grew to become the normative type for rendering monitor violence. Demonstrating to filmmakers the facility of irony as a story voice and its effectiveness as a device for exploring and portraying brutality, The Wild Bunch essentially replaced the Western, relocating it right into a extra brutal and psychopathic territory than it had ever occupied.
- Evelyn Brent: The Life and Films of Hollywood's Lady Crook
- The 'I' of the Camera: Essays in Film Criticism, History, and Aesthetics (Cambridge Studies in Film)
- Cinema and the Swastika: The International Expansion of Third Reich Cinema
- George Raft: The Films
Extra info for A Companion to American Indie Film (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
A Companion to American Indie Film (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) by Geoff King